Thursday, April 1, 2010

Perfect Pitch

Nope, I'm not talking about American Idol here.

I'm talking about my upcoming pitch at Chicago-North RWA's Spring Fling Conference. This conference is held every two years. In 2008, it was the very first conference I'd ever attended and I executed my very first 2 pitches with agents! The first one flopped big time. The second was successful enough that the agent requested I send a partial of my manuscript. HUGE success for a newbie writer who had been writing for a mere 8 months and knew nothing! (Update: I never heard back from that agent. In publishing-speak, that means she didn't like it.)

Flash forward two years. I am preparing to return to Spring Fling with several manuscripts complete under my belt and a few sales of short stories published under a pseudonym. Each manuscript I write becomes my new favorite, which is the rub here.

I would love to have my current WIP close enough to completion to pitch it, but alas, it is 2/3 of the way to being complete. Therefore, I must fall back to my last complete manuscript to pitch. Time to pull it off the virtual shelf, blow off the dust, and add a little polish. Along the way I need to find my original enthusiasm that wears away after receiving critiques from my peeps and hours spent revising.

As if that wasn't enough, I have to compose the perfect, thirty-second pitch.

Do you think Randy or Simon would be willing to give me a hand?

Have a happy Thursday!
Andrea

1 comment: