Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hummingbird on my toes

I just can't keep up with the swinging ups and downs of the thermometer this spring. Early in the week, we turned on the air conditioning for one night for the first time this year just so we could sleep without the oppressive humidity. Now today, after breezy refreshing overnight temps, my house is freezing! I've had to relocate to my deck with my laptop to get warm in the beautiful sunshine. I'm not complaining, really. I love days like today - low humidity, bright sunlight, and a gentle breeze.

The best part of working outside today has been my unexpected visitor.

I felt a tickle on my toes and flicked them, as I thought it was a pesky fly or one of the wasps that love to build nests under our deck. I was startled when I looked up and found a hummingbird hovering over my bright fuchsia toenails! Last year, I had a hummingbird touch the bright pink cover of the book I was reading on the deck.

These birds sure do love pink!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, on your toes?! Wow! I love my hummingbirds! I love that they come around when I'm on the porch as if to say 'hello' - they chirp so sweet. Such amazing creatures. I feel bad when I'm late getting the feeder up or refilled. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

    Yes, my toes! :D

    I don't have any feeders for them, but I have a few flowering plants in the garden that they really like.

    The one that came up to my book last year was the closest I've ever gotten to one. It was truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete