Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Flawless Character

One of my biggest struggles as a writer has been to give my characters flaws. I tend to want everything to be perfect from the beginning to the end of the book, which makes for very boring stories. So, I'm constantly on the lookout for lists of good (should that be bad?) flaws to lay on my characters.

I'd been hearing about a writing book for a few years, but had just not gotten around to investigating it, until my idol, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, gave a presentation about character archetypes at Spring Fling. When I realized, she was using archetypes to help populate her stories, I knew I needed to look into it further.

So, I went to Amazon and ordered a copy of The Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes & Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes by Tami D. Cowden, Caro LaFever, and Sue Viders.

When it arrived in the mail, I instantly fell in love. This book has become my new favorite writing craft book.

For each archetype, it gives a list of virtues and FLAWS! It also shows how the various archetypes interact with each other, among other great features.

I highly recommend this book to new writers, and writers who feel like their characters are lacking in some area.

What a difference one book can make!
What's your favorite craft book?

No comments:

Post a Comment